- Connect with Matthew on LinkedIn
- Follow on Twitter
I specialise in construction law and practice providing advice to parties at all levels of the supply chain. My particular focus area is dispute avoidance and resolution. I regularly contribute articles for in-house and external newsletters and provide training for clients on current issues in construction law.
The breadth of my experience covers a variety of sectors where I regularly act for local authorities, registered providers as well as for developers, contractors and consultants.
I am familiar with all of the standard forms of construction contracts and related documents (JCT, NEC, ICE) and I have significant experience of conducting litigation and adjudication as well as other forms of ADR including mediation. I blend my technical legal knowledge with industry and commercial awareness to identify the essential tactical and other considerations relevant to any dispute and to provide clear and focused advice.
- Acting for the EPC contractor in multiple adjudications with its groundworks sub-contractor regarding payment and wrongful termination on a £9m groundworks package at a new anaerobic digestion and gasification/waste processing facility
- Acting for a Local Authority on a range of contentious matters, including a £3m claim against a main contractor regarding some 1100 defective windows installed as part of a significant housing refurbishment contract
- Acting for a major bank in adjudication proceedings against a negligent monitoring surveyor
- Advising a main contractor on various issues in relation to a major residential development, including the wrongful administration of the contract by the Employer’s Agent and incorrect deduction of liquidated damages
- Providing strategic advice to a Housing Association regarding the insolvency of a main contractor
- Reported cases include: MW High Tech Projects UK Limited v Haase Environmental Consulting GmbH  EWHC 152 (TCC), GPS Marine Contractors Limited v Ringway Infrastructure Services Limited  EWHC 283 (TCC) and Benfield Construction Limited v Trudson (Hatton) Limited  EWHC 2333 (TCC)