Bevan Brittan has worked with Centre for Cities and Turner and Townsend on a new study that urges authorities in the UK’s cities to work closely together to promote local economic development – providing homes, workplaces, skills and transport that cities need to thrive.
The Centre for Cities report - ‘Delivering Change: How city partnerships make the most of city assets’ - says there is now a critical role for authorities to play in unlocking the latent potential of cities, promoting them as places of investment and regeneration, and constructing new models of delivery and income generation to sustain front line services.
The report says there are challenges when identifying opportunities and making the most out of assets through partnerships:
- Significant gaps in knowledge of local public and private assets
- Producing an economic development vision to make the most out of these assets
- Different organisational cultures and aims in asset-backed partnerships
- Providing the capacity and clear project management for these partnerships
- Creating a framework for the use of assets within a partnership that balances stability with flexibility
To support the launch of the report, Bevan Brittan and Turner and Townsend held a number of roundtable discussions with local authorities, housing association and business senior leaders across England. These roundtables provide discussion around the topic of how cities can make the most of their assets and what mechanisms need to be in place to help them do that most effectively. Please find below list of the remaining dates and let us know here if you would like to join us for one of them.
- Tees Valley Local City Assets Roundtable 8.30-11.30am, Wednesday 15th November 2017 The Boardroom, Tees Valley Combined Authority Cavendish House, Teesdale Business Park, Stockton-on-Tees, TS17 6QY Chair: Andrew Carter, Chief Executive, Centre for Cities Co-Chair – Tees Valley Mayor, Ben Houchen
- Manchester City Assets Roundtable - Date to be confirmed
- Liverpool City Assets Roundtable - Date to be confirmed
- Stoke City Assets Roundtable - Date to be confirmed
- London Summit 1st March 2017, Turner & Townsend, One New Change, London EC4M 9AF
Finally, please follow this link to find out the ways we can support you taking your local agenda forward by addressing some of the issues raised through this report.
Bevan Brittan appointed to North West Legal Consortium panel and granted Partner status
14/05/2020View all News
Employment Law Webinar - Managing Workforce Issues in light of COVID-19
16/06/2020View all Events
Local Authority View #18
April - May 2020 #18 Your round-up of local authority related news and viewsView all Articles