I am a Senior Associate and work across both our Property department and our Litigation, Advisory and Regulatory department. I specialise in property and commercial disputes (to include crisis and reputational management issues).
My experience includes advising clients on a wider range of commercial and property disputes, including contractual disputes, landlord and tenant disputes (dilapidations, service charge, contested business tenancy renewals), land and occupations disputes, and issues arising from defamation, social media and crisis and reputational management issues.
I advise and resolve disputes from diverse sectors, including housing associations, public sector organisations, charities and private sector companies. I am experienced in County Court and High Court litigation and alternative dispute resolution, particularly mediation.
- Successfully assisting a commercial owner of a shopping centre to bring various protected commercial leases to an end to enable the client to redevelop parts of the shopping centre (project values in excess of £20m).
- Advising a registered provider (as tenant) in relation to a highly contested and acrimonious dilapidations claim (approx. £1m), to include representing the client at a successful mediation.
- Advising a charity in respect of a right of way and shooting rights dispute to enable the client to develop the land as a residential centre.
- Advising a leisure client in respect of a contractual dispute (in excess of £1m) following operational modernisation.
- Advising a health and social care provider in respect of a contractual dispute (in excess of £2m) under a sale and purchase agreement with associated earn-out provisions.
- Advising a Multi-Academy Trust in relation to a dispute (in excess of £1m) with a local authority as to financial contributions due under a PFI contract.
- Advising a national domiciliary care provider following undercover filming to be broadcast by a national television channel and the details to be published by a national newspaper.
- Successfully defending a local authority in respect of pre-action claim in defamation brought against the local authority by a sitting Councillor.
Cynyr Rhys is ‘helpful, attentive, and a source of practical advice’