- Career highlights
I am head of Bevan Brittan's litigation; advisory and regulatory department.
I lead a department with a unique blend of lawyers who have a superb reputation for combining technical excellence with a clear, commercial focus, benefitting clients across the private, public and third sectors. We regularly act on some of the largest and most challenging of matters and are always passionate about delivering the best advice and solutions to our clients.
I have a strong track record of success in litigation and arbitration, together with all forms of alternative dispute resolution (ADR), including expert determination, negotiation and mediation.
I act for clients in a wide range of fields and have considerable experience of advising both private and public bodies in a range of sectors, including local and central government, health, housing, and the private sector.
Specialising in mainstream commercial litigation, I am quick to identify what the core legal issues are behind any given dispute and the tactical and procedural options to deal with them.
He is a very smart operator, a really nice guy but a really good, tough litigator as well.
I also advise both the public; private and third sector on broad spectrum of criminal regulatory matters including those relating to health and safety; fire safety standards; environmental prosecutions and waste.
We have teams and specialist lawyers who advise across all areas including:
- Collective actions and group litigation
- Contractual disputes and disputes involving tortious breaches including negligence
- Public and administrative law matters (judicial reviews and statutory challenges)
- Procurement (both advisory and challenges)
- State aid and competition law issues
- Professional disciplinary regulatory
- Insurance; liability claims and costs
- Employment, Pensions and Immigration
- Healthcare regulatory and due diligence
- Health & Safety and Criminal Regulatory and Enforcement
- Reputational Management; intellectual property and defamation
- Information Law; Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information
- Insolvency matters
- Investigations, inquiries and compliance (including fraud and bribery)
- Acting for a major UK brewer in a multi-million pound professional negligence claim over advice and consultancy services provided by a firm instructed to design and implement a new supply chain strategy for their UK business. This was a high profile case in the Commercial Court but settled following two separate days of mediation.
- Acting for a leading utility provider on a multi-million pound contractual dispute with a supplier of defective gas meters.
- Acting for a Metropolitan Borough Council in a £1.2m dispute over the use of a disused quarry for waste disposal purposes. The claim concerns the Council's obligations pursuant to a licence governing the deposit of waste materials at the quarry and restoration of the land afterwards.
- Acting for an IT consultancy company in a dispute with insurers over policy coverage following a substantial theft of computer hardware/software from their premises. The dispute led to a 6 day trial and involved complex allegations of material non-disclosure and a claim that fraudulent invoices were used in order to exaggerate the claim.
- Acting for the Professional Indemnity Insurers of an Independent Financial Advisor in a company’s £1.8m claim for alleged negligent advice not to wind up a Final Salary Scheme. The claim was successfully settled at mediation.
- Acting for an international producer and supplier of materials, products and services principally in the construction industry in a US$1.7m dispute with its insurers following a major kiln failure in Jamaica. The dispute centred around the applicability of a number of policy exclusions and particularly whether the damage was as a result of defective design or latent defect and/or operational error by the employees working in the kiln. The dispute was dealt with by way of an ad-hoc arbitration.
Adam's Area of Expertise
- Independent Health
- Social Care
- Local Government
- Public & Administrative Law Disputes
- Housing & Regeneration
- Central Government & Agencies
- Criminal Regulatory
- Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Investigations & Inquiries
- Competition Law
- Health & Social Care Regulation
- Reputation Management
- Insolvency & Asset Recovery
- Governance, Risk &Compliance
- Information Law
- Insurance Disputes
- Clinical Negligence
- Employment, Pensions & Immigration
- Public & Administrative Law Disputes
- Major Incidents