Before studying law, I was a senior nurse in the NHS. I am a Solicitor Advocate and an experienced litigator in public law including human rights.
- I am an astute and experienced court advocate and have experience in First Tier Tribunal SEND appeals including under the National Trial and the duties contained within the Children and Families Act 2014.
- I head up a team of children law lawyers across local authority, education and health. I have experience of private and public law cases and safeguarding across the public, private and voluntary sectors.
- I have advised on governance at a strategic and operational level including the four cornerstones of governance - patient safety, operational efficiency, ethics and compliance. I sit on an ethics committee in the South West and am involved with the national network. I have inputted nationally into ethics health policy.
- I have Judicial Review experience across responsible commissioning disputes; human rights challenges and children transition arrangements into adult services.
- Successfully acted for a number of health organisations on human rights issues, particularly around children and adults at risk including Court Of Protection and the Inherent Jurisdiction of the High Court.
I have written several articles including:
How Should Local Authorities Capture New Local Safeguarding Arrangements?
Safeguarding Partners: Are you ready for 29 June 2019?
The combination of Deborah’s clinical background and specialist and legal expertise is invaluable