I specialise in general commercial litigation and dispute resolution including cross-jurisdictional disputes, multi-party actions, insolvency law and regulatory matters. I act for both claimants and defendants and advise a variety of national and international clients including local authorities and NHS trusts, as well as independent entities in relation to contractual and other commercial disputes. I also provide technical and litigation support on all insolvency procedures.
- Acting for a financial services regulator in relation to the recovery of approximately £115 million from a complex multi-jurisdictional corporate structure involving fraud; local and cross border insolvency issues; and on-going management of claims both in and outside the UK including Cayman Islands, the BVI, Dominican Republic, SVG, St Lucia and Barbados.
- Advising and representing over 100 different public and private sector clients with deposits in 4 Icelandic banks to assist them in recovering sums in excess of £1bn arising out of the global financial crisis. Work involved international multi-party litigation at District Court and Supreme Court level in Iceland as well as attendance at Informal Creditors' Committee meetings and Open Creditors' meetings in UK and Iceland.
- Advising a large number of wholesale depositors in respect of two sales of claims, as well as advising on the sale of escrowed ISK via the Central Bank of Iceland currency auction and a sale to Deutsche Bank.
- Advising and representing the Local Government Association and its 365 member authorities who faced in excess of 8000 restitution claims for refunds for property search fees levied by authorities since 2005 allegedly contrary to the Environmental Information Regulations and for damages under the Competition Act (collective claim value of £300m).
- Advising a local authority in relation to a complex ICT contract dispute regarding their ability to set-off against sums due to the contractor on exit losses suffered by them as a result of failures in service delivery both during the life of the contract an on exit. The potential claim and counterclaim value was in excess of £2m.
- Advising in relation to £1m fraudulent misappropriation of assets by a contractor's employee.
- Regularly advising on a wide range of breach of contract claims including agency fee disputes, invoice disputes and contract termination/repudiatory breach disputes.
- Providing insolvency-related advice including advising on the insolvencies of corporate entities such as Carillion and Prezzo, advising on the potential winding up of a company to recover a substantial debt and advising on the ability of a third party with a beneficial interest to challenge a proposed asset sale by an administrator.
- Acting for the Solicitors Regulation Authority in relation to a civil claim as well successfully defending an application regarding consent order terms, striking out of an appeal of an interlocutory decision by the Solicitors Disciplinary Tribunal before the Court of Appeal and judicial review proceedings before the Administrative Court ( EWHC 1249 (Ch)).
- Advising Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman on regulatory matters, including judicial review.
- Part of team short listed for the Legal Business Awards Litigation Team of the Year 2012 and The Lawyer Litigation Team of the Year 2012 for work done representing public and private sector clients affected by the collapse of the Icelandic Banks in 2008.